Skip to main content

On crying it out

Right now my girl is napping in her crib in her room for the first time.  6 months into her life.  And there were no tears (this time) - she just passed out the minute I put her down.

I am far from an expert.  I'm a first time mom.  But when people reference crying it out, I cringe.  Our LO never cried it out.  She screamed it out, she shrieked it out, but she never cried herself to sleep successfully (in the traditional CIO sense).

As new parents in a co-sleeping arrangement (not bed sharing, room sharing), we made sure not to touch the baby until she started crying.  We let her grunt, moan, make all kinds of noise without our interference.  No one told us to expect or do this, we just went on gut.  She really didn't need us until she cried, right?

This was at night - naps didn't come so easy.  We tried everything to get her to nap independently.  We held her until she was dead asleep and put her in a little bassinet from the pack n play.  Occasionally she would nap well like that.  But most of the time she'd nap for 15 minutes on her own and then freak out.

So we moved to the "sleep begets sleep" mindset and allowed her to nap on us in order to preserve good nighttime sleep (which she always got).  We held her for naps, trying to put her in a travel crib on occasion.

At 4.5 months it seemed time to try to put her down.  So we put her in the travel crib for naps "drowsy but awake."  And she would scream until she was red faced.  One time I let it go for 45 minutes.  I had to step out of the house.  She never calmed down in the 45 minutes.  It was like a train gaining momentum - there was no stopping her crying until you picked her up.  We tried pick up put down.  Nothing worked.  We worried she'd nap on us forever.

Then one day, I decided to feed her, soothe her to almost asleep, and place her in the crib.  If she woke up when I put her down, I'd just try again.  Sure enough, it worked.  When she was old enough, she was ready to sleep independently.  And once we did that, she moved to the crib so easily.  Until today, at 6.5 months, she'd napped in a travel crib in our living room and slept her her nursery upstairs.  But right now she is napping in her crib alone.

Sure, she is relying heavily on sleep associations - blackout curtains, noise makers, etc.  But we did not have to resort to sleep training.  Honestly, I couldn't handle it.  I had the luxury of being at home for the months I think she needed to mature into a good independent sleeper.

So whenever anyone tries to push crying it out or sleep training on a new mom, I have to stop myself from interjecting with, maybe your baby just isn't ready.  It's not like they'll be napping on you at 15.  Why do we go from a baby's crying being something you respond to, to something you ignore?  Why do we insist on these one approach fits all models?  And when we do insist on them, they become biblical, more preachy than guidance?

I think the women who need CIO, great, you have it there for you.  For everyone else, it's okay if we leave it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My birth story

I guess I'll be a cliche, a first time mom starting up a baby blog.  Given that I've decided not to return to work until the next school year, I need a little something other than my LO (that's little one for you new to the baby board lingo) to occupy my mind, certainly not my time though! I've started blog posts for weeks now.  But "we're" only just getting good at napping now [read - mom realized baby has a major case of FOMO and will not nap on her own].  So I've saved the drafts and closed them, unsatisfied with what they said and how I said it. So I decided during this current nap to give it a final go, try to get this blog up and running by writing my basic birth story.  It likely won't be quippy or cute but it's nice to just get it down on paper so to speak. LO was due on December 14/15.  At my 40 week appointment the nurse told me little other than I hadn't made much progress since week 39.  She didn't tell us the size of

Nights are the worst

I hate even writing a post about nighttime because ours have been going so well with our LO these past few weeks.  But last night she woke at a different, earlier hour.  And I was quick to lay blame on lots of things - she didn't go to bed early enough, she napped too late, she didn't get enough milk.  I don't react superbly when there's an appearance of a pattern that disappears (she slept well for 3 days straight), I rightfully tick my husband off too with my excuses and overly emotional reaction. My husband is right, I know he is - but logic escapes me at 1 in the morning.  She is a baby.  Our little unpredictable creature who has been very good to us in the sleep department, is going to have nights where she wakes up and wants to eat/cuddle/fuss/poop.  It's nobody's fault, except nature. I take it as my fault, too, if she wakes up AGAIN too early after a night feeding.  Did I not feed her long enough?  Did I eat something strange?  I already cut out dair

These are a few of my favorite things...

In addition to listening to do-re-mi and Lonely Goatherd regularly, I (and the LO, by extension) have some favorite things we have discovered in the process of getting to seven months old.  In no particular order, here are the things we could not live without. 1.   Fisher Price Laugh and Learn Puppy .  This is the first toy LO played with and she is still in love.  It does not really sustain her drooling on it, but she still lights up when she hears itsy bitsy spider.  You can set it to autoplay too, especially helpful when you need 5 minutes to do anything. 2.   DK Noisy and Pop-up Books (especially the Sophie the Giraffe and Animal ones).  Okay, maybe we are teaching our girl that all books have sounds.  But she is really getting into opening the pages and seeing what is behind each of the little peek-a-boo flaps.  We actually sit down and read together with these books - we've been doing it for months! 3. Convertible Woombie .  This little peanut shaped sack single handedl