Skip to main content

Nights are the worst

I hate even writing a post about nighttime because ours have been going so well with our LO these past few weeks.  But last night she woke at a different, earlier hour.  And I was quick to lay blame on lots of things - she didn't go to bed early enough, she napped too late, she didn't get enough milk.  I don't react superbly when there's an appearance of a pattern that disappears (she slept well for 3 days straight), I rightfully tick my husband off too with my excuses and overly emotional reaction.

My husband is right, I know he is - but logic escapes me at 1 in the morning.  She is a baby.  Our little unpredictable creature who has been very good to us in the sleep department, is going to have nights where she wakes up and wants to eat/cuddle/fuss/poop.  It's nobody's fault, except nature.

I take it as my fault, too, if she wakes up AGAIN too early after a night feeding.  Did I not feed her long enough?  Did I eat something strange?  I already cut out dairy, is she allergic to soy?

There are some things we as parents can control.  We can't control everything.

When she wakes up in the morning and smiles at me, though, it makes up for some of the lack of sleep.  Just a little.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My birth story

I guess I'll be a cliche, a first time mom starting up a baby blog.  Given that I've decided not to return to work until the next school year, I need a little something other than my LO (that's little one for you new to the baby board lingo) to occupy my mind, certainly not my time though! I've started blog posts for weeks now.  But "we're" only just getting good at napping now [read - mom realized baby has a major case of FOMO and will not nap on her own].  So I've saved the drafts and closed them, unsatisfied with what they said and how I said it. So I decided during this current nap to give it a final go, try to get this blog up and running by writing my basic birth story.  It likely won't be quippy or cute but it's nice to just get it down on paper so to speak. LO was due on December 14/15.  At my 40 week appointment the nurse told me little other than I hadn't made much progress since week 39.  She didn't tell us the size of

These are a few of my favorite things...

In addition to listening to do-re-mi and Lonely Goatherd regularly, I (and the LO, by extension) have some favorite things we have discovered in the process of getting to seven months old.  In no particular order, here are the things we could not live without. 1.   Fisher Price Laugh and Learn Puppy .  This is the first toy LO played with and she is still in love.  It does not really sustain her drooling on it, but she still lights up when she hears itsy bitsy spider.  You can set it to autoplay too, especially helpful when you need 5 minutes to do anything. 2.   DK Noisy and Pop-up Books (especially the Sophie the Giraffe and Animal ones).  Okay, maybe we are teaching our girl that all books have sounds.  But she is really getting into opening the pages and seeing what is behind each of the little peek-a-boo flaps.  We actually sit down and read together with these books - we've been doing it for months! 3. Convertible Woombie .  This little peanut shaped sack single handedl